This holiday season is one like no other. We want to help you shop local and give without creating waste - instead of giving more “stuff”, consider giving a gift of an experience, subscription or make a donation in their name rather than material items. Here are our favorite gifts that give back!
- Buy a gift card to their favorite local restaurant or coffee shop.
- Gift a subscription to their favorite publication or streaming service.
- Invest in new skills by gifting a Master Class or a subscription to a site such as Skillshare.
- Make a donation to an organization they support in their name.
- Make an edible treat that you know they'll love!
- Give the gift of being a plant-parent with a plant (if you know they'll keep it alive) :)
- Gift tools to help make the shift to reusable habits such as a metal water bottle or reusable utensil set.
- Offer to give a service such as babysitting their kids or pet sitting.
- Give a gift to the environment by working on a project together in the yard, starting a garden or investing in a rain barrel.
- Write them a poem or make a handmade card.
- Invest in wellness with a massage gift card or yoga class membership.
- Find unique second hand gifts from a local thrift store or “gift forward” to give something you already own that you think they’d like.
- Passes to experiences like museums, national parks, or other outdoor adventures.
- The best gifts are always personal! Whatever special skill you have whether it’s sewing or singing, it may be a great gift.
And don’t forget, when it comes to the wrapping, there are many options for up-cycling paper such as the comics from the newspaper or using brown paper bags from the market. Or, try the Japanese Furoshiki gift wrapping technique using a scarf, towel, bandana or fabric. Check out our full “Less Waste Holiday Guide” - download and share with your family and friends to help spread holiday cheer and low-waste education at the same time!